Saturday, December 24, 2011

Ursula's Christmas Cabbage

So hard to believe that it's Christmas Eve. Growing up, that meant it was time for my mother's red cabbage. She would start cooking it first thing in the morning, and the aroma would fill the house for the whole day. We children were the official testers throughout the day. We'd attempt to sneak into the kitchen, undetected, and scoop up a spoonful from the pot into our mouths.

"Get out of the cabbage!" my mother would shout from the living room.  How ever did she know what we were up to? I guess that's why she always said that she needed to have eyes ... in the back of her head.

My mom passed away in 1989. Ever since, I've made Ursula's Christmas Cabbage on Christmas Eve. Of course, I've modified the recipe somewhat, using red wine where my mom used water. As I write, I hear it simmering on the stove and my writer's cottage is beginning to smell oh so good! Soon, I'll have to test it.

From my house to yours, I wish you Happy Holidays, a Merry Christmas, and a New Year filled with felicity!


No comments:

Post a Comment